If you do a quick Google search for ab rollers or abdominal rollers, you’ll find tons of companies selling them. But do they work? How do abdominal rollers actually help tone your abs and make them more defined, if at all? Let’s learn more about this core training tool.
What are abdominal rollers and what do they do?
An abdominal roller is a fitness device that is used to help with exercises that work the abdominal muscles. It is a cylindrical foam roller that is used to provide support and compression while exercising.
How do abdominal rollers work
When used correctly, ab rollers can help to tone your abdominal muscles and build core strength as well as improve your balance and coordination. Ab wheels help to target your entire core including your abs, glutes, lower back muscles, and obliques. However, it’s important to start slowly and work your way up to more difficult exercises.
How to use an ab wheel
When using fitness equipment, it is important to follow the manufacturer’s instructions. This is especially true for abdominal rollers. These devices can be dangerous if not used correctly. For example, you should only use the abdominal roller on a stable surface.
If you are not familiar with how to use an abdominal roller, be sure to consult the manufacturer’s instructions before using it. Make sure to read all of the safety precautions, and follow the instructions for use listed below step-by-step:
- Start by kneeling on the ground, with the ab wheel in front of you – for extra safety and comfort you might want to use knee pads.
- Place your hands on the wheel, and slowly roll it forward, until your body is extended out in front of you.
- Hold this position for a few seconds, and then slowly start rolling the wheel back to the starting position.
- Repeat this exercise 10-15 times.
The benefits of using abdominal rollers
Abdominal exercises are a great way to strengthen your core and improve your overall fitness. They can help you achieve better posture, improve your balance, and even help prevent back pain. Additionally, abdominal exercises can help you burn calories and lose weight, as well as improve your overall cardiovascular health.
To get the most out of your ab roller workouts, it is best to switch up your routine. People who do the same exercises over and over often see diminishing results and quickly become bored with their routine. To avoid this, it’s important to branch out and try new workouts. You can find some more abdominal exercises to try below:
- Plank: The plank is a simple yet effective exercise that can be done anywhere with no equipment needed. It works the core muscles as well as the upper body and is great for beginners or those who are short on time. To do a plank, start in a push-up position, then bend your elbows and lower yourself down so your forearms are flat on the floor. Hold the plank position for as long as you can, then repeat.
- Bicycle Crunch: Bicycle crunches are a great way to work your abs. They are similar to regular crunches, but you move your legs in a bicycle motion as you crunch. This adds an extra challenge and works your abs differently.
- Russian Twist: Russian twists involve twisting your torso while keeping your feet stationary. This exercise is effective in strengthening your ab muscles, as well as your obliques. For an extra challenge, why not try using resistance bands.
- Superman: The Superman is one of the most popular ab exercises. It’s a great exercise to help you build a strong core and improve your posture. Lie flat on your stomach with your hands by your sides then lift your chest, arms, and legs off the ground, and hold for 10 seconds. Slowly lower your body back to the starting position then repeat 10-15 times.
- Flutter Kicks: Flutter kicks work the entire core. To do them, lie flat on your back and place your hands on the floor beside you. Bring your knees in towards your chest and then lift your head and shoulders off the floor. Kick your legs out straight and then bring them back in. Repeat this motion for as many reps as you can.
Things to consider before buying an ab roller wheel
When you buy any fitness equipment, it’s important to do your research first. That way, you can be sure to get the best possible equipment for your needs and your budget. There are a lot of different types of gym equipment on the market, so it’s important to know what you’re looking for.
Some things to consider when buying exercise equipment include the type of workouts you want to do, how much space you have available, and your budget. It’s also important to make sure that the equipment is safe and will meet your needs.
You can find some more factors to consider before buying abs rollers listed below:
- How often do you plan to use it?
- What type of other exercises do you want to do?
- What is your budget?
- Do you have enough space in your home gym for an ab roller?
Abs workouts are essential for a strong core
The ab roller is a simple piece of fitness equipment that can be used to tone the abs, but it’s not as effective when used on its own. To see results, you need to use an ab roller as part of a varied routine that also includes other exercises like crunches and planks. Ab rollers are available in many different shapes and sizes, so find one that’s comfortable for you and get started toning your abs and securing the six-pack of your dreams today.